Tuesday, June 22, 2010

First thoughts about India - Vince

**note: In the picture of me and the little girl, you will see smudges under her eyes. Her parents put that on to ward off evil spirits. They serve the goddess of death, Kali.


India is a country that is rich in history but marred with poverty in almost every other way. Many of us focus on the orphan crisis in Africa, and rightly so with 45 million orphans according to Unicef. However, India is a single country with 25 million orphans

As our team walked through a slum in Delhi today, I was confronted with the reality of hundreds of years of poverty and bondage. The filth is unprecedented for me. As I walked through the slums of Delhi, I saw the hurting and the broken, I saw the diseased and the anguish of those who are unable to provide for their basic needs.

As we went from alleyway to alleyway, visiting homes and meeting the people, I was amazed to find something else present in the slum - it was ubiquitous. I could see it in the eyes of the children and in the smiles.

It was the Spirit working in the hearts and lives of those who are living there. Many people may walk through a slum in Delhi and question the very idea of God. For me, I saw the evidence of His heart and love at every turn in a community that was broken, hurting and desperate for more. I saw the loving team from our group as well as the teachers at the Friends of the Good Samaritan School spreading love in a community that has a gaping wound both spiritually and physically.

What is remarkable in most settings like this is not that He is so present and strong and active, but that His people are no where to be seen most of the time.

It reminds me of two of my favorites quotes - "preach the gospel always, if necessary, use words." St Francis and Mother Theresa who said "why do you allow such suffering in the world?" to which He replied "why do you?"

We are His plan to the poor - YOU are His plan to the poor and suffering.

Will you help?

No comments:

Post a Comment